May is Older Americans Month. Older adults play vital, positive roles in our communities – as family members, friends, mentors, volunteers, civic leaders, members of the workforce and more. Just as every person is unique, so too is how they age and how they choose to do it – and there is no “right” way. That’s why the theme for Older Americans Month (OAM) 2022 is Age My Way. Every May, the Administration for Community Living (ACL) leads the celebration of OAM. This year’s theme focuses on how older adults can age in their communities, living independently for as long as possible and participating in ways they choose. While Age My Way will look different for each person, here are common things everyone can consider:
• Planning: Think about what you will need and want in the future, from home and community-based services to community activities that interest you.
• Engagement: Remain involved and contribute to your community through work, volunteer, and/or civic participation opportunities.
• Access: Make home improvements and modifications, use assistive technologies, and customize supports to help you better age in place.
• Connection: Maintain social activities and relationships to combat social isolation and stay connected to your community. Diverse communities are strong communities. Ensuring that older adults remain involved and included in our communities for as long as possible benefits everyone.
Mini Bus Trips
Trips require five passengers and are weather permitting. Please call (860)668-3844 to make a reservation.
Tuesday, May 3 Lunch at Longhorn Steakhouse Pick-up begins at 11 a.m.
Thursday, May 5 Walmart Shopping Pick-up begins at 8:30 a.m.
Tuesday, May 10 Shopping at Trader Joe’s Pick-up begins at 8:30 a.m.
Tuesday, May 17 Lunch at Anthony’s Pick-up begins at 11 a.m.
Thursday, May 19 Walmart Shopping Pick-up begins at 8:30 a.m.
Tuesday, May 24 Yankee Candle and Lunch at Wolfie’s Pick-up begins at 8:30 a.m.
Friday, May 27 Lunch at Francesco’s Pick up begins at 12:30 p.m.
Memorial Day – No Transportation
Tuesday, May 31 MGM Casino Pick-up begins at 9 a.m.
Blood pressure screenings: May 11 and 25 at 11 a.m. sponsored by Suffield Community Aid
Footcare: Wednesday, May 25 by appointment. Fee is $30, payable to the nurse.
Hearing screenings: May 4 by appointment. Free
Please make reservations by noon the day prior. Lunches are $4 and include coffee, tea, cold beverage and dessert
- May 4: Pasta e fagioli and roast beef sandwich
- May 5: Salsa chicken foil pack
- May 11: Corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage
- May 12: Hot tuna grinder, fruit and broccoli salad
- May 18: Kielbasa, roasted potatoes and vegetable
- May 19: Lasagna and tossed salad
- May 25: Stuffed peppers and rye bread
- May 26: Chicken parmesan, pasta sauce, sliced cucumbers z