Winter has arrived and seemingly like every year, there’s never a buffer between the nice weather and the extreme cold.
Elections are over, and I’d like to thank the entire election staff for their hard work and long hours they put in. The work they do to ensure that the process is fair and runs as smooth as possible cannot be overlooked. Working from 5 a.m.-10 p.m. is a daunting day for anybody, and their hard work is appreciated. Thank you to the entire election team!
With high inflation and soaring costs of basic goods and resources, the holiday season could potentially be difficult for some. For those of us who are able, please consider making donations to local groups who are collecting items or monetary donations to assist those who need it the most. Our Suffield Community Aid is a great organization to consider donating to. If you know a person or family in need, please have them reach out to us.
Here’s a quick look at things going on in Town:
- December 2, Suffield Alight: Come and enjoy the start of the holidays with our Tree lighting event, Santa’s arrival, food, music and more!
- The indoor Winter Farmer’s Market is December 3 at the Suffield High School Large Animal Facility from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Our Trick or Treat at Town Hall was successful, and I was glad to see so many kids dressed up and enjoying themselves. Thanks to all the Town employees who participated to make the event so much fun!
- Veteran’s breakfast is on December 3 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. at the VFW. Thank you to Scout Troop 260 for coming out in November to help and present the colors to the veterans. You guys did an awesome job, and we appreciate your help!
- We’ve come to agreements with four out of the five unions whose contracts have expired this year or last year. With inflation as high as it is, we feel as though we were able to come to an agreement that kept the Town’s finances in check while offering fair wage increases over the next couple of years to all of our employees.
- The Joint Facilities Committee continues to meet to discuss the Facilities Master Plan. We hope to present recommendations to multiple Boards throughout the beginning of the 2023 year.
- Thank you to the boys and girls soccer and volleyball teams, coaches, Todd Zenczak, all other volunteers, and RTC members for assisting the Town with the Field of Flags. Great to see so many volunteers!
- Speaking of volunteers, check out our new Volunteer section on the front page of our Town website. If you’re interested in helping with one of our many Town events, click on the Volunteer link and see what event you may be able to help with. Sign up individually or as a group.
- Parks and Recreation is hosting a Breakfast with Santa, December 10 at the Senior Center. Register online.
- Check out our Library and Community Services sites to see the activities they have going on
- Budget season begins soon.
- Remember when you’re doing your holiday shopping, think about supporting our local businesses throughout Town. Whether it’s restaurant/cafe gift cards, hair or nail gift cards, or great local shops like Moxy Boutique, Cupola Hollow Farm, Broadleaf Gift, Feather and Bloom, Pentimento Design, and Karenoughcrafts and Sign Boutique, please shop local!
Have a safe and happy holiday season with family and friends, and as always, my door is always open.