Happy February everybody. Hopefully you enjoyed the holidays. The Town had some great winter events and programs over the last two months that many enjoyed, including our ever-growing, Suffield Alight.
Our American Rescue Plan Committee met and voted to approve the use of funds for the following items:
- $1.25 million for capital expenses.
- $150,000 for the local VFW to assist in renovations
- $75,000 for the Water Pollution Control Authority (WPCA) and the design work needed for the Stony Brook Interceptor (a main sewage line to the treatment plant)
- $40,000 for the Land Conservancy towards a skid steer to help maintain and create trails on their properties
- $10,000 for the Suffield Tree Committee to support their Trees for Suffield Initiative
- $75,000 towards our Town Historical Assets/Buildings
Approval still needs to go through the Board of Selectmen, Board of Finance, and Town meeting. There is still slightly over $1 million that needs to be allocated by the Committee. Current discussions for the remaining funds have been for Bridge Street Park and a maintenance package towards all of our athletic fields throughout the Town, which would include irrigation.
Here’s what’s going on in Town:
- We’ve recently hired David Vincent as our part-time Fire Marshal that now falls under our Building Department. Welcome David!
- We will be looking for a new Fire Chief and filling our open Captain position within the next couple of weeks.
- Our former volunteer Deputy Chief for the Fire Department, Dan Vindigni, recently retired. Thanks for your dedication, hard work, and years of service to the Town!
- There is still an opening for a part-time Economic Developer
- We recently added a new section on our Town website for businesses who are interested in being featured under the “Business Spotlight” on the front page. You can find the sign up form under the “Support Local” tab.
- The Suffield Tree Committee recently finished their tree photo contest. You can see all the entries under the “Things To Do” tab at the top of our website, then click “Trees for Suffield.”
- The Suffield Woman’s Club recently donated a new drone to the Police Department. Check it out on the PD’s Facebook page. Thank you to the Woman’s Club for the generous donation.
- Continue to check out the great programs our Community Services and Library Departments have to offer
- If you haven’t tried out our new breakfast restaurant in Town, Fire on the Mountain, I recommend doing so.
- We’ve reconvened the Environmental and Sustainability Task Force to come up with ideas/projects for use of our “Nickel for Nips” bottle deposit money that must be used towards environmental projects. The Town receives an average of around $6,000 every six months. Thanks to all who volunteered, including a student from Suffield High School’s Sustainability Council.
- Our Suffield Summer Fair committee will be starting up shortly for our second year with hopes to add more to an already successful first year. We are always looking for volunteers to help.
- The Advisory Commission on Capital Expenditures (ACCE) group has started meeting with Department Heads for capital requests. Thank you to the residents who volunteered to be a part of this Commission as 5 of the 7 members stepped down this year.
As always, my door is always open at Town Hall.