Hello March! Looking forward to Spring and the upcoming warmer weather. You are now able to view and register for all upcoming programs including lunches, fitness and recreation programs at suffieldseniorcenter.com. Please see Shannon or Pam for assistance accessing your account. Thank you to everyone that participated in our preliminary Senior Center survey. We will use this data to better serve our community and to assist in our plans for new programming and amenities at the Senior Center. If you were not able to complete the survey, we are always open to constructive suggestions. Feel free to reach out to me directly via phone, email, or stopping by.
Mini Bus Trips
All trips require five passengers and weather permitting. Please call 860-668-3844 to make reservation.
- Thursday, March 2 Shopping at Walmart; pickups start at 8:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 7 Lunch at Longhorns; pickups start at 11:30 a.m.
- Friday, March 10 Lunch at Suffield Pizza; pickups start at 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 14 Lunch at Yarde Tavern; pickups start at 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, March 16 Shopping at Walmart; pickups start at 8:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 21 Shopping at Westfarms Mall; pickups start at 9 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 28 Lunch at Maine Fish Market; pickups start at 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, March 30 Shopping at Trader Joe’s; pickups start at 8:30 a.m.
- Friday, March 31 MGM Casino Springfield; pickups start at 9:00 a.m.
Please make reservations by noon the day prior. Lunches are $5 and include coffee, tea, cold beverage, and dessert.
- Wednesday, March 1 Cowboy Stew with Bread & Butter
- Thursday, March 2 Chicken Parmesan with Pasta, Sauce & Salad
- Wednesday, March 8 Homemade Chicken Macaroni Soup with Toasted Cheese Crostini Bread
- Thursday, March 9 Everything Bagel Crescent Hotdog with Macaroni & Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Wednesday, March 15 Chicken Pot Pie & Caesar Salad
- Thursday, March 16 Ruben Crescent Bake & Coleslaw
- Wednesday, March 22 Homemade Beef, Tomato & Macaroni Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Thursday, March 23 Crispy Chicken Sandwich with Lettuce & Tomato and Tater Tots
- Wednesday, March 29 Bacon Wrapped Maple Glazed Pork Loin with Oven Roasted Red Potatoes & Vegetable
- Thursday, March 30 Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup with Garlic Toast Pizza
Blood Pressure Screenings – Wednesday, March 8 and Wednesday, March 22 at 11:00 a.m. Sponsored by Suffield Community Aid.
Footcare – Wednesday, March 22 $30.00 fee payable to the Nurse. Please call the Senior Center, 860-668-8830, to schedule an appointment.
Hearing Screenings – Free hearing screenings and services provided by NOVA Hearing Services by appointment. Please call 860-916-6169.
AARP Tax-Aide Program
Volunteer AARP IRS-certified tax counselors will be available at the Senior Center, during the tax season, to provide free basic tax assistance and electronic tax preparation services. Appointments are available on Thursdays. Please call the Senior Center, 860-668-8830, to schedule an appointment. A separate appointment is necessary for each person needing a tax return.
The AARP Tax-Aide program is intended to provide services to low/middle income taxpayers with special attention to those aged 60 and older. Taxpayers with lengthy and/or complex returns are advised to seek paid tax assistance.
Taxpayers are reminded that they MUST bring:
- Identification and Social Security card for anyone living in the home, or that may be listed on the tax return;
- Marketplace Health insurance information for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents;
- Last year’s tax returns (we need to have last year’s return which may affect 2022 return and show any carryover losses);
- W-2s, W-2Gs and 1099s showing wages, interest, dividends, pensions, IRAs, unemployment income, certain gambling winnings forms, etc.;
- Social Security benefit statements;
- Broker statements showing transactions – purchases, sales, costs, dates;
- Taxes paid – estimated, property / real estate, vehicle, with dates paid;
- If itemizing, medical and dental expenses and insurance premiums paid;
- If itemizing, charitable donations and other credits with supporting documentation;
- Checkbook (if direct deposit of any refund is desired – recommended).
- If married, generally, both husband and wife must be present, as signatures are required.
- Returns cannot be prepared for taxpayer(s) if they resided in, or worked in, another state and need a return for that state. Taxpayers who need a Mass. resident tax return should go to Mass.
- All taxpayer returns are prepared online, and are transmitted electronically to the IRS and CT-DRS. The only paper returns that are prepared are those that must be on paper per the IRS (i.e. 1040-X).
- A CT resident return will be prepared and transmitted electronically as the default for all taxpayers.
- The only CT tax refund options are direct deposit or check.
- The default is to save all taxpayer data entered. All data is encrypted, and securely electronically stored throughout the year.
- Generally, returns will only be prepared for the current tax year.