The Town of Suffield is now partnering with the Towns of Avon, Canton, Granby, Simsbury and Farmington to provide Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days. The collections will run from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and will be open only to residents of those towns. Suffield will participate in two collections this year. For more information, contact Suffield Public Works at 860-668-3890.
Residents must: Bring ID, Wear a Mask and Stay in your Car
Dates: June 13, 2020 & October 17, 2020
Location: Both collections will take place at the Simsbury Public Works Facility, 66 Town Forest Road, Simsbury, CT
Hours: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
At the same event, there will also be FREE collections of:
- Electronics Recycling Collection- Computers, TV’s, etc. (Accepted at Suffield Landfill anytime)
- Used motor oil collection (Also collected curbside next to blue recycling cart)
- Personal document shredding – until the trucks are full (please limit yourself to 2 boxes)
- Lawn care chemicals – fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides
- Mercury containing Items – Switches, thermometers, thermostats, motion detectors
- Household cleaners – acids, adhesives, aerosol cans, ammonia, drain cleaner, disinfectants, moth balls, etc.
- Garage or Workshop chemicals – antifreeze, gasoline, motor oil, brake fluid, transmission & power steering fluid, lighter fluid, Pool chemicals, ant/bug spray or bait, etc.
- Light Bulbs- Fluorescent and Compact any size (Bring to Suffield Landfill anytime)
- Batteries –household batteries including rechargeables (Bring to Suffield Landfill anytime)
- Ammunition and/or explosives, gunpowder
- Asbestos Products
- Business Waste – collection is for residential waste only
- Empty Containers –no more than one inch or of material left –dispose in regular trash
- Fire extinguishers or Smoke Detectors- check with manufacturer for their recycling program
- Freon containing items like Air Conditioners or Refrigerators
- Paints – Latex or Oil Based (go to www.paintcare.org for a recycling location near you)
- Stains, Polyurethane, Sealers (go to www.paintcare.org for a recycling location near you)
- Ice melt – Ice melt is not hazardous and can be disposed in the regular trash
- Latex Driveway Sealer (Gunite) –Not hazardous; solidify then throw in the regular trash
- Propane Tanks
- Tires – (Bring to Suffield Landfill, Fees vary per size of tire)