Volunteer AARP IRS-certified tax counselors will be available at the Senior Center during the tax season to provide free basic tax assistance and electronic tax preparation services. Changes to the procedures have been made to make this a safe and rewarding experience for all.
Appointments are available starting in March on Thursdays in Suffield beginning at 8:30 a.m. A separate appointment is necessary for each person needing a tax return.
• Only returning taxpayers (If you have not been here before, we can’t accommodate you).
• No walk-ins will be allowed.
• Have all your TY2020 documents (listed below) prior to arriving for your appointment.
An Intake form, which needs to be picked up at the Senior Center ahead of time, must be filled out before your appointment. (Pencil is fine.) This should include the amount of Economic Recovery payments you have received.
Park in the designated spaces near the front door of the Senior Center, wait in your car until your appointment time and wear a mask. (Do not come early and do not enter the Senior Center.) Someone will come to your car to check IDs and get your forms.
Appointments to drop off your documents and check photo ID are less than 15 minutes. Then you should go home and not wait at the Senior Center.
Later that day, you will be contacted by phone for any questions. You will also be told when to come back to sign your return (both people on joint returns) and when to pick up your documents (may not be the same day).
Taxpayers are reminded that they MUST bring:
• Identification and Social Security card for anyone that may be listed on the return.
• Copy of TY2019 Income Tax Return and related forms.
• W-2s for wages W-2Gs for gambling winnings, and 1099s for interest (INT), dividends (DIV), pensions, IRAs, unemployment income, etc.
• Social Security benefit 1099-SSAs.
• Broker statements showing transactions –purchases, sales, costs, dates.
• Taxes paid –estimated, property/real estate, vehicle, with dates paid.
• Charitable donation amounts (up to only $300 cash if using standard deduction).
• If itemizing, medical and dental expenses and insurance premiums paid, mortgage paid, mileage for medical and charity
• Blank check showing routing and account numbers for direct deposit of any refund (if desired).
• If married, generally both husband and wife must be present, as signatures are required.
All taxpayer returns are prepared online, and transmitted electronically to IRS and CT-DRS.
The Senior Center will call to remind all taxpayers the day before their appointment.
Phone number for tax appointments:
Suffield Senior Center 860-668-8830
Please Note: This service is subject to cancellation, based on COVID-19 status. You will be called if we must cancel your appointment.