- The Connecticut River, restored from pollution by industrial waste and sewage, was designated as a(n):
a. National Historic River
b. American Heritage
c. Historic Landmark
- In 2009, Laurie Tavino, artist, illustrator and Suffield native, compiled a compelling book of photographs, facts and memories about a town region she called:
a. Warnertown Road
b. Fuller’s Corner
c. Old Bridge
- The second building of the East Street School was located on Thompsonville Road where the East Street Fire Station is currently situated, but the school’s first building was located:
a. On River Boulevard near the old Thompsonville bridge
b. Near Hilltop Farm, where the gas station is now located
c. On the corner of Canal Road and East Street North
- Some early European immigrants brought a custom to America to ward off evil spirits in a house by hiding an item behind walls, around chimneys and windows, and sometimes with other miscellaneous articles. What was it?
a. A worn-out shoe
b. A cow horn
c. A collection of teeth
- What is an earlier name for Canal Road?
a. Rapids Street
b. Guardlock Lane
c. Dam Way
- Servillius Griswold, a Suffield resident, operated “Cora” until 1893. What was Cora?
a. A tourist boat on Lake Congamond
b. A steam-powered ferry on the Connecticut River
c. A trolley car which traveled along East Street
- The Enfield Canal and the Enfield Dam were built to:
a. Prevent flooding
b. Quiet the river’s current in order to create King’s Island in the middle of the Connecticut River, along the Suffield-Enfield town line
c. Bypass the Enfield
- Before 1833, Windsor Locks was called:
a. Pipestave Swamp
c. Pine Meadow
- John L. Sullivan was a prominent local tobacco farmer. He built a large tobacco warehouse which is still standing on Burbank Avenue. In 1903, he patented his invention for:
a. A cigarette paper in conjunction with the C.H. Dexter Company in Windsor Locks
b. A tobacco hoist
c. An air conditioning system for his tobacco warehouse
- Which answers are correct concerning the “Hermit” of Suffield?
a. His name was Leslie Adams.
b. In the house he built on River Boulevard, he reached his second floor bedroom by a rope and pulley which also dropped a blanket on him.
c. He was a “Yankee genius” who could fix anything but became a recluse when his mechanical innovations were not recognized by his employers.
(Thanks to Laurie Tavino and her book, Suffield’s Old Bridge Neighborhood, as a source for this trivia column.)
1. b. American Heritage River
2. c. Old Bridge
3. c. On the corner of Canal Road and East Street North
4. a. Worn-out shoes. Seldom found in pairs, “concealment shoes” were often accompanied by other articles, such as toys, food, coins, bells and spoons. Half of the time, the shoes belonged to children.
5. b. Guardlock Lane
6. b. A steam-powered ferry on the Connecticut River, made obsolete when the Thompsonville Bridge was erected. She was the last of various ferries which existed along River Boulevard (once known as River Road) dating back to 1691.
7. c. Bypass the Enfield rapids, to facilitate commerce
8. c. Pine Meadow
9. b. Tobacco hoist. The first commercial air-conditioning to wash and filter air was installed by Carrier in the tobacco warehouse of William S. Pinney in Suffield, not in John L. Sullivan’s warehouse.
10. a. b. and c.