1. What are Indian names for the Congamond Lakes? Choose all that apply.
2. In 1827, a large floating bridge was launched on the Middle Pond of Congamond Lakes amid much fanfare, artillery and band-playing. What was its purpose?
a. It was a diving platform.
b. It connected the east and west shores.
c. It was a towpath to pull canal boats.
3. Near where the Brass Rail is located in Southwick on Congamond’s North Pond, there once was
a. A hotel which was a popular weekend destination for pleasure seekers.
b. A 50-foot knoll called Abell’s Picnic Grounds that offered excellent views of the area.
c. A gun powder mill which produced 250,000 pounds of gunpowder in the early 1800s.
4. Babb’s Beach was once called
a. Manitook Picnic Grounds
b. Pleasure Beach
c. Hathaway Grove
5. In 1879, the Farmington Canal company sold its Congamond canal property to
a. The Berkshire Ice Company
b. Nelson Babb, Sr.
c. Mr. Fletcher to construct a flour mill
6. In 1864, Daniel Norton, Henry Fuller and William L. Loomis organized a business in Suffield. What was it?
a. A tobacco syndicate
b. The First National Bank of Suffield
c. The first Aetna Insurance agency
7. Who from Suffield recently signed a free agent contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers?
a. George Pickens
b. Myles Jack
c. Jarvis Miller
8. Sibbil Dwight Kent’s name was chosen as the Chapter name of the Daughters of the American Revolution for Suffield and Windsor Locks. Who was Sibbil Dwight Kent?
a. She marched with her husband, Captain Elihu Kent, head of the Suffield Minutemen, to the defense of Boston following the alarm at Lexington, Mass. at the beginning of the Revolutionary War.
b. She was originally from the town of Warren, Mass. and grew up in a house which was once George Washington’s headquarters. She was the third wife of Elihu Kent.
c. She procured supplies for the Connecticut militia during the Revolution when recommended by her husband Elihu Kent to George Washington.
9. Was the Metacomet Trail created and used by Native Americans?
Yes or no
10. Where was Cains Pond, which was a good fishing spot for brown trout, brook trout and wide-mouth bass?
a. Near Fuller’s Corner on Mapleton Avenue
b. Near Stony Brooke Park
c. At Sunrise Park in West Suffield
1. a. and c. Congamuck was a name used by more recent Native Americans. Earlier Native Americans called it Wenekeiamaug
2. c. It was a towpath to pull canal boats.
3. b. A 50-foot knoll called Abell’s Picnic Grounds that offered excellent views of the area.
4. c. Hathaway Grove
5. a. The Berkshire Ice Company which built five ice houses.
6. b. The First National Bank of Suffield which was originally located in a corner of Prout’s store just north of the current Kent Memorial Library.
7. c. Jarvis Miller
8. b. She was the third wife of Elihu Kent, Jr. and was originally from the town of Warren, Mass. and grew up in a house which was once George Washington’s headquarters.
9. No. It was created by the Boy Scouts in the 1930s. The Native Americans preferred low lying lands such as the Warranoke Path, the same track used by the Farmington Canal which wound around the Congamond Lakes to Westfield.
10. b. Near Stony Brooke Park.