On June 12, 2021, the Town of Suffield renamed and dedicated the Remington Street Bridge as the Dustin L. Doyon Memorial Bridge. It was truly a day to be proud of Suffield. As you pass over this bridge, please continue to remember Dustin and be grateful for his sacrifice. I want to sincerely thank everybody that stepped-up to ensure such a meaningful day, especially for the Doyon family.
My deep gratitude goes to:
• Suffield community, for showing such strong support for our veterans
• U.S. Navy Strike Fighter Squadron 103, for the ceremonial flyover
• United States Navy Submarine School Silver Dolphins Color Guard and Rifle Drill Team, for the honor of their presence
• Lieutenant Colonel William Moryto (retired), for securing and flawlessly timing the ceremonial flyover
• Tom Callinan (USMC, 1970-’71) Connecticut’s 1st Official State Troubadour and Glen Joyal, for their beautiful and heartfelt music
• Town employees – especially Mark Cervione, Chris Matejek, Karen Isherwood, Kris Lambert and Richard Brown for their extraordinary efforts and exemplifying the best of our municipal team
• Donations from Bill’s Landscaping of beautiful flowers gracing the bridge, C&S Landscaping for labor and Winding Brook Turf Farm for lush sod on the grounds
My scissors need sharpening after all of this spring’s ribbon-cutting activity! With several capital projects checked off the “To Do List,” now’s the time to plan for future successes. We need YOUR involvement and opinion as we take the 30,000-foot view of our little town and evaluate where we’ve been, where we are and where we want to go. First step – stay informed about all projects that follow by visiting the Capital Projects, RFP & Bids page at www.suffieldct.gov
Affordable Housing Plan
Deadline: Sunday, July 11th
On-line survey now available to determine resident perceptions of both housing needs and possible strategies looking forward. The survey plays an important step in the process of preparing an Affordable Housing Plan required by State law.
A working group will prepare the Plan comprised of members from Planning and Zoning, Selectmen, Economic Development, Social Services, Suffield Community Aid and the Housing Authority. Consulting firm Planimetrics is helping guide the planning process. Suffield residents are encouraged to complete the 5-7 minute survey to help members better understand community goals.
Facilities Master Plan
The Town and Public Schools recently collaborated to form a Joint Facilities Committee and hired Tecton Architects after an RFP process to complete a Facilities Master Plan.
The Plan will assess the use and condition of select municipal and educational facilities and adjacent land to establish a priority, schedule, and budget for the most effective use; modernization, replacement, or expansion that will create a framework for the Town’s Capital Plan for the next ten to twenty years. Goals include:
• Create a comprehensive master plan for public buildings to serve the Town’s needs for the next ten to twenty years.
• Assess the current use and space needs of public facilities.
• Establish a priority, schedule, and budget for replacement, consolidation, or improvement.
• Create a framework for the Town’s Capital Plan and debt service in accordance with the Debt Management Policy.
Ways to get involved:
• Look for survey in early July – complete and share with your neighbors.
• Learn more at upcoming pop-up events (e.g., Farmers Market, Suffield on the Green)
• Questions/Comments? Email email@example.com
Bridge Street Park
A survey completed at the end of May with over 600 respondents, reflected resident interest in installing a park on this parcel. Most popular selections included:
• Activities: seasonal ice-skating rink (64%), multi-use trail (51%), fitness stations (38%)
• Playground theme and style: farm (61%), natural log playscape
• Style: traditional with some contemporary elements
• Remembering Bridge Street School: use salvaged materials (44%)
An overwhelmingly positive response, next steps include looking into a mix of passive and some active recreation.
Have a happy and healthy summer!