1. In what year was The Suffield Observer first published?
2. In what year was Babb’s Beach given to Suffield by the Babb family?
3. Who was the first woman elected to the Board of Selectmen?
a. Mary Anne Zak
b. Frances Woods
c. Astrid Hanzalek
4. Harold Hill was the first police chief when the town’s first police force was established. What year was that?
5. Who was Leon Buczynski, a Suffield resident?
a. He was the first person of Polish heritage to be elected to a key town government position.
b. He was a famous U.S. spy in World War I.
c. He invented paperclips.
6. Why did Apollos Fuller gain local fame in 1900?
a. He swam the length of the Connecticut River.
b. He caught the largest recorded northern pike fish from the Connecticut River, a 29-pounder.
c. He owned the first automobile in town, a Stanley Steamer.
7. Where is Indian Springs located? It is where local Native Americans regularly camped.
a. Babb’s Beach area
b. On Hill Street, near Hastings Farm
c. On the Connecticut River, north of Hilltop Farm
8. What short street featured in Ripley’s Believe It or Not is “one way” at both ends? No clues for this one – make a guess!
9. What married couple is buried next to each other in the Old Center Cemetery with the last name spelled differently?
a. Richard Woolworth and Elizabeth, wife of Richard Woodworth
b. Calvin Sikes and Diantha, wife of Calvin Sykes
c. Robert Old and Samantha, wife of Robert Olde
10. What man was a spy who worked in the counterintelligence service of the OSS (Office of Strategic Services) in World War II?
a. Robert Alcorn
b. Hugh Montgomery
c. Harold Remington
1. c. 1999
2. b. 1970
3. b. Frances Woods was elected to the Board in 1967.
4. a. 1941
5. a. He was the first person of Polish heritage to be elected to a key town government position, the Board of Selectmen, in 1930.
6. c. He owned the first automobile in town, a Stanley Steamer.
7. c. On the Connecticut River, north of Hilltop Farm
8. The southern part of High Street. (Sorry! It was a tricky question.)
9. b. Calvin Sikes and Diantha, wife of Calvin Sykes
10. b. Hugh Montgomery. He is considered one of the founding fathers of the CIA, which was a successor to the OSS.