The old Terrett House Hotel in West Suffield center, shown here in about 1940, had long since been converted to stores and apartments. The oldest section, at the left end, had a ballroom upstairs with an arched ceiling. The newest section, at the right, was added in 1854. Its second floor was a bigger ballroom. From our September 2004 Observer.