History
100 Years Ago in Suffield
|
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Wendy Taylor of Kent Memorial Library, who is expanding her considerable abilities in historical research.
The Suffield Observer (https://thesuffieldobserver.com/category/history/page/21/)
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Wendy Taylor of Kent Memorial Library, who is expanding her considerable abilities in historical research.
The Cannon Hotel, pictured here in about 1920, was located on what is now Old Mountain Road, with a dock on Middle Pond in back. There’s a home on the spot now.
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Town Historian Lester Smith.
Members (and friends?) of the Judah Phelps household gather for a portrait ca. 1905.
Each year, when the weather permits, Dennis Picard holds a public demonstration of ice harvesting at the Noble & Cooley mill pond in Granville, just north of North Granby. This year the weather on February 2 was great, the ice was clear and over a foot thick, and appreciative visitors enjoyed the demonstration and explanations by Picard, a knowledgeable historian and former director of the Storrowton Village Museum at the Big E.
Many onlookers each year accept the invitation to take hold of one of Picard’s ice saws and learn how to cut the long slices of ice which can then be split into chunks, floated off, and lifted out with big iron tongs. This year one of the students was this writer, who brought an old Connecticut ice saw recently donated to the King House Museum by Eric Haffner. The saw was very similar to the ones that Picard brought, and he said that type of saw was manufactured from 1819 to 1919. He dated the one I brought to about 1880 and called it a nice example because it retained the original pin and wedge that secure the blade to the handle.
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Town Historian Lester Smith.
The two grammar school classes and their teachers at the old Bridge Street School are pictured in the front yard in about 1905, perhaps assembled to watch a game of some sort.
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Town Historian Lester Smith.
Members of the Suffield Recreation Commission and staff pose for a group portrait in about 1978.
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Town Historian Lester Smith. December 6
A large touring car ran into an electric light pole at the corner of South Main street and Kent avenue Sunday morning tearing off the right rear wheel, smashing the top and windshield and badly damaging the body of the car. . . . on their way from Worcester, Mass., to Bridgeport .