History
100 Years Ago in Suffield
|
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Wendy Taylor of Kent Memorial Library.
The Suffield Observer (https://thesuffieldobserver.com/category/history/page/16/)
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Wendy Taylor of Kent Memorial Library.
Taken in about 1898 looking upstream near the mouth of Stony Brook at the end of Paper Street, this old photo shows the Franklin Paper Mill in its third embodiment.
This article is a tribute to the Kozikowski Family that started on East Street and ultimately made a notable contribution to the town. It is the first in a series that will introduce some of the Polish immigrants that started as many as five generations of Polish Americans that now call Suffield, “home.”
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Wendy Taylor of Kent Memorial Library.
This late-forties view looks east up the north side of Depot Street (now Mountain Road) from a spot near the foot of the hill. Prominent at the left is Bill Cusick’s Depot Street Service Station, with its big GULF sign at the right with a sign offering clean rest rooms. To the left of the two garage bays is an older store front, where Cusick sold ice cream and diverse merchandise.
Selected from the pages of the Windsor Locks Journal and lightly annotated by Wendy Taylor of Kent Memorial Library.
This is an excerpt from a very large photo print, ca. 1870, of the Daniel Washington Norton estate on South Main Street, just north of what is now Barry Place.
Two neighbors walk up to see the damage at Franklin Fuller’s house after the Great New England Hurricane had torn through Suffield in September 1938.
The honor roll which has stood on the green in the center of the town was taken down this week, as the names of those in the service from this town are all on the new bronze tablets on the town building. The taking away of the honor roll takes away the only shelter from the winter winds for trolley patrons, and micrococcus lanceolatus, the pneumonia bug, is arranging for a carnival of its fellows for the next few months.
Late in December 1983, an antique sideboard along with other furniture stood outside in the snow in front of the King House Museum following a fire in the museum. Many of the rugs, Civil War artifacts, pottery, dishware and furnishings survived, including the sideboard.